Thread: I need a plan to start playing again

Super Ultra Mega Epic VIP Member

I need a plan to start playing again

I just remember that Yourdoom changed everything for me when it came to poker, It really made took my game to 1000 levels better than previously.
    But before I was in such a rush to start making a living from poker and I would skip playing some of the lower stakes, maybe play just 1k hands at 25nl and feel like I'm a pro and then move on to 50nl where I might be like "ok, this is a more serious stake so I'll play 10k hands before moving on to 100nl".

But at 100nl and 200nl I felt like adapting was getting so much more difficult than at 50nl. In 50nl I could adapt to a villain and exploit him and he wouldn't adapt back to me. But at 100nl+ they would even anticipate all this adapting back and fourth and it became so hard.

Then I switched to Fydor's hyper husngs because of that and then after spending a lot of time learning that I looked at a winrate calculator that shows that even after playing 10 million sngs with a winrate of 55% (don't remember if it was 55% maybe it was 53% or something.) you can still be losing. So that made me lose my motivation.

Than I haven't played poker for many years and now I want to start playing again, 6max Yourdoom style
    And I want a plan this time, want to play responsibly and follow the plan. But I don't really want to play 1 million hands at 5nl and and then 1 million hands at 10nl either.
    I used to play a max of 4 tables at the same time so it's not easy for me to get a high volume of hands played.

So I would like suggestion on a detailed plan in style of..

Step 1: Begin with XXX video course.
    Step 2: This step could be watch that whole course or it could be watch it 2 times or it could be just watch the first X videos.
    Step 3: Setup the hud.
    Step 4: Start playing 5nl on 1 table for ___ hands.
    Step 5: Maybe review something in HM2 and/or post some hands or go back to watching videos, watch videos again, start watching next video course.

I have almost all the courses and I don't mind buying the ones that I don't have already btw.

Like, maybe it's good idea to start off playing as a 40bb midstack before moving on the videos that teach 100bb play?

Can Yourdoom or someone else help me to make a plan for mine and anyone else who's getting started with Yourdoom's courses so that we can become 1knl pros and make a decent living playing poker 3-4 hours/day?

Ok then, if you're serious and committed to becoming a beast at the NL tables then let's do this

Step 1: Install my latest HUD. This will give you a massive upgrade of info and a huge edge on the entire field. (Since you already own courses, you get free HUD upgrades for life.) I will PM you the download link.

Step 2: Fill in the gaps. My two newest series "Expert Game Play Parts 1 and 2" are critical. Get those, study them (don't just "watch" them like you're watching a movie.) You need to take notes, pay attention, and put in the work to learn. If anything is unclear, post questions in the private forum and I will help you out...

Step 2: Rewatch and relearn the series you already have.

Step 3: Email me your recent results - whenever you last played NL, with dates, and stats by position so I can see what we're dealing with. Once we're at this point. I'll be able to guide you much better as to what level you should be playing, what you need to work on, and when you should be ready to move up stakes.

Here we go!

Super Ultra Mega Epic VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YourDoom View Post
    Ok then, if you're serious and committed to becoming a beast at the NL tables then let's do this

Step 1: Install my latest HUD. This will give you a massive upgrade of info and a huge edge on the entire field. (Since you already own courses, you get free HUD upgrades for life.) I will PM you the download link.

Step 2: Fill in the gaps. My two newest series "Expert Game Play Parts 1 and 2" are critical. Get those, study them (don't just "watch" them like you're watching a movie.) You need to take notes, pay attention, and put in the work to learn. If anything is unclear, post questions in the private forum and I will help you out...

Step 2: Rewatch and relearn the series you already have.

Step 3: Email me your recent results - whenever you last played NL, with dates, and stats by position so I can see what we're dealing with. Once we're at this point. I'll be able to guide you much better as to what level you should be playing, what you need to work on, and when you should be ready to move up stakes.

Here we go!
    I know what you mean by actually studying the videos and not just watching them. I definitely did do that and will do that again.. Something that I remember finding difficult though is remembering both the ranges and strategy for playing a 40bb stack and then a full stack as well. Even if I don't intent to play a 40bb stack, villains could be playing that stack size and that makes it the effective stack size so knowing how to play a 40bb stack is good right?

Do you think I should relearn your courses on playing a midstack? Should it be the first course I study? And do you think I should learn all your courses before i begin playing again or should I use my own judgement and watch some videos until I feel I need to mix in some play to make sure what I've learned already sinks in before watching more videos to learn more?

The thing I'm worried about is that if I start with learning to play a midstack then it will be very difficult to transition to learning to play a 100bb stack without forgetting how to play a 40bb stack because ranges and strategy is quite a bit different and it can be a lot to remember to know the strategy and ranges for both a midstack and a full stack.

I don't have my old hand histories unfortunately, I didn't intent to start playing poker again when I quite a few years ago. I wanted something more dependable as an income then but life changes and now I don't mind anymore having to compete for my income. So, what do you suggest in that case?

I guess 5nl until I've learned all your courses and can 4 table confidently again. Then play ___ amount of hands and then I can email them to you? Will take me at least a month though I reckon but I don't mind that, just letting you know that I won't be sending any HH any day soon.

I guess the main thing I would like is to know which order to learn your courses in and especially about the midstack courses, if I should learn them as well?
    I don't remember exactly but when would you recommend or personally choose to play a midstack instead of a fullstack? I think you said that you would do it if you're playing at higher stakes than usually or if the only fish on the table is a midstack, all the full stacks are regs. Do the circumstances that makes playing a midstack present themselves often to you or is it a rare situation?

The reason it's good to know which order to learn the courses is because it's a lot to learn and I reckon I'll be playing many thousands of hands inbetween some videos and courses to let the info sink in before learning more again.

Edit: I want to add also something about playing as a midstack. Which is that, you have to leave the table so soon which could be unfortunate if there's a fish. If you don't then you need to play as a 100bb stack which brings me to the problem I explained previously which is that it's really tough to remember strategies and ranges for both midstack play and full stack play.
    Last edited by YourworstVillain; 08-24-2017 at 02:29 AM.

Midstacking and fullstacking are different but I would equate the difference to about the same as playing NL MTTs vs NL cash. It's still the same game with a lot of subtle differences. And if you don't play one format for a long time you'll get rusty.

The difference between playing PLO and NL for example is much larger.

I would suggest playing 100bbs and also keeping all the of the 40bb knowledge and info fresh in your mind as it'll give you a huge edge when fish (and regs) are playing with midstacks.

There are so many 100bb regs, even the top-top guys who play NL2k+, still make horrible absurd mistakes when playing vs 40bb fish. They really have no clue.

Play whatever level you are comfortable with in terms of skill and bankroll. There are going to be some "growing pains" when you are learning new material. It'll take some practice until your new knowledge and new lines become instinctual skills that become as natural as breathing at the tables.

Feel free to email me with any other questions and I'll be happy to guide you along the way...
    Ryan

Bronze Member
    Hi Ryan, would you recommend the same course of events to someone who's just getting into playing for the first time too?

Quote Originally Posted by AlfonsoR View Post
    Hi Ryan, would you recommend the same course of events to someone who's just getting into playing for the first time too?
    Hi Alfonso, if you're just starting out in poker, Expert Game Play will be a bit too advanced for you. I would suggest starting with some cheaper monthly subscription site just to learn the basics and to gain a little experience and then when you're ready to go further come back and let me know how you're doing. At that point, I'll guide you as to which courses you should start with.